Anxiety is a normal emotion that everyone experiences from time to time. It is a feeling of worry, nervousness, or unease about something that may happen or is uncertain. Anxiety is a natural response to stress and can help you cope with difficult situations.
However, when anxiety becomes chronic or overwhelming, it can interfere with your daily life and well-being. Chronic anxiety can cause physical symptoms, such as fatigue, difficulty sleeping, and muscle tension, as well as emotional symptoms, such as difficulty concentrating, irritability, and restlessness.
There are several different types of anxiety disorders, including generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, and phobias. Anxiety disorders can be treated with a combination of therapy, medication, and self-care strategies. It is important to seek help if anxiety is affecting your daily life and well-being.
My personal experience with Anxiety
I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder as a teenager and Complex PTSD in my early thirties. I completely understand how anxiety can affect your day-to-day life. Everyone experiences anxiety disorders differently and have different triggers that increase it. For me, anxiety is more about a lack of control, lack of control of my feelings, lack of control of what someone else may do to me, lack of control about negative consequences, lack of control about something happening I am not prepared for.
Through years of traditional therapy and other methods, I have learned how to manage my anxiety better. There are still days, weeks and months that is it worse than others. I still have certain triggers that will cause it to increase and trigger panic attacks. My biggest triggers include lack of sleep, being overwhelmed or overstimulated.
I have learned several ways to reduce my triggers and work through them faster though. Practicing minduflness, EFT, grounding exercises and hypnosis therapy have been the most effective tools for me. These tools have been so effective for me that I decided to become a certified Mindfulness Teacher and EFT Practioner so I can help others implement these strategies in their own lives too.
If you’re struggling with anxiety, there are several things you can try to reduce your symptoms and feel more calm and in control.
- Practice relaxation techniques: Deep breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, and mindfulness meditation are all effective ways to relax the body and mind. These techniques can help you calm down in the moment and reduce anxiety over time.
- Exercise regularly: Physical activity has been shown to reduce anxiety and improve mood. Aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise, such as brisk walking or cycling, most days of the week.
- Get enough sleep: Lack of sleep can contribute to anxiety, so it’s important to get enough rest. Establish a regular sleep schedule and try to get at least 7-9 hours of sleep each night.
- Eat a healthy diet: A diet that is high in whole, unprocessed foods and low in sugar and caffeine can help regulate mood and reduce anxiety.
- Limit alcohol and caffeine: Both alcohol and caffeine can increase anxiety, so it’s important to limit your intake of these substances.
- Connect with others: Social support is an important factor in reducing anxiety. Talk to friends and family, join a support group, or seek help from a mental health professional.
- Practice self-care: Take time to do activities that you enjoy and that help you relax, such as reading, listening to music, or taking a warm bath.
Everyone has to find what works for them when it comes to managing their anxiety. You may need a combination of traditional therapy, medication, coaching and other techniques. There may also be underlying trauma that needs to be addressed. Sometimes we have to try different therapies, coaching, personal development and self-care strategies (and medicines if you decide that’s right for you) before we find what works.
Anxiety doesn’t have to control your life or hold you back from living your best life. With the right support and self-care, it is possible to reduce anxiety and improve your overall well-being.
Ready to get in control of your emotions and create more calm, confidence and balance in your life?
Consider working with me in one of my 1:1 coaching programs or going through 1 of my self-study programs. As your coach, we’ll work together to discover your goals, overcome your struggles, and implement proven strategies to help you create better mindsets, habits and thought processes so you can achieve your desired goals, and increase your confidence, emotional well-being and productivity. I am trained and experienced in several methods like Mindfulness, EFT, Grounding and Productivity methods. If you would like to learn more about working with me 1:1, check out my coaching packages here or check out all of my self-study courses and programs here.
You can also access my 5 Ways to Create More Calm eBook at this link for FREE to learn more strategies to regulate your emotions, reduce anxiety & decrease overwhelm here.