5 Tips to Overcome Procrastination & Get More Done
I’ll admit I’m a master procrastinator. I could get a lot more done than I do but I just try to do my best and keep improving. Progress over perfection has become my motto.
We often procrastinate doing a certain task, especially in our business because of hidden fear. Maybe you avoid creating new content, doing follow-ups, doing videos or livestreams because deep inside you are afraid of rejection, humiliation, judgment or don’t feel confident enough.
Often times we procrastinate because we know if we do the work that we might actually become more successful or have to move out of our comfort zones. This could be a fear of success and it’s very common.
Our brains are wired to keep us safe so if you have any fears, your brain will try to keep you as far away from anything that triggers that fear. You can work to overcome this and still be productive and accomplish a lot of your tasks though!
Here are 5 Tips to Overcome Procrastination & Get More Done (even if you still procrastinate some).
1. Figure out the hidden fear and work to overcome it, then the task will be easier to complete! If you aren’t doing customer follow up because you are afraid to talk to people, learn word choices, write out scripts and use them. If you aren’t booking enough parties because you don’t feel like you know what to do at a party, then learn how to hold a fun, easy party…
2. If the task feels too overwhelming that you don’t know where to start, break it down into smaller, more manageable tasks and goals. Get some small wins along the way to help you build momentum and feel accomplished.
3. Not everything in our business is going to be fun. Depending on your personality you might hate doing admin work or you might love it… Some things will always come easier to us because of our personalities and strengths. Find a way to gamify your tasks that aren’t enjoyable. Set a timer for 15 minutes or 30 minutes and work through the task / accomplish as much as you can towards it during that time. Create a reward system for completing milestones in your task so you feel good about what you are doing and have something to look forward to.
4. Get yourself set up on a system, implement a process and work on creating a new habit around your tasks. Our brains love processes and everything comes down to a habit. Work on creating a step by step list or routine, theme days, batching your tasks, do things in a pattern or on the same days /time / in a row and soon it will become much easier to complete the tasks you typically procrastinate on.
5. Do the things you least enjoy doing first so you get them out of the way and stop worrying and feeling guilty about them! Brian Tracy calls this “eat your frogs”. We will often procrastinate even on things we enjoy simply to avoid getting to the task we don’t. Tackle those things first and you can save yourself a ton of time and get way more done.
Bonus tip: Focus on just doing something, anything, even if it’s not the right thing, but taking 1 step towards completing whatever you’re procrastinating on just to get some momentum going and that will often set things in motion so that you get even more done than you thought you could.
What do you procrastinate the most on in your business? Is there a fear you need to work on overcoming? Sure it might be uncomfortable but you can do it! You deserve success and that feeling of accomplishment!
Sometimes we have to TAKE ACTION before we THINK because our fears and excuses will try to talk us out of it. What are you going to take action on today to move your business forward?