How to Create a Blog for your Direct Sales Business
I get asked all the time about how to create a blog and how to get started blogging. Blogging can be a great way to promote your direct sales or small business. You can share valuable information about your products, services and the solutions you provide. You can also use your blog to help create a brand for yourself so you stand out from all the other consultants out there. Having a blog with good content that includes search engine optimization (SEO) can also help bring potential customers, hosts and team members to your site.
Blogging, just like any other endeavor does take some time, a little technical skill and consistency. There are a lot of things to think about before you dive into learning how to create a blog to make sure you set it up right from the start and can build and grow a successful online presence. See my post on 10 things you need to know and do before starting a blog here.
There are several platforms you can create a blog on from free sites like Blogger.com to platforms like Weebly that don’t require a lot of technical skills & offer an easy to use drag & drop customization feature for a reasonable monthly rate. I personally use and recommend self-hosted WordPress sites. They offer the most options for customization and the best SEO. (Learn more about the details of each blogging platform here.)
If you have decided to start blogging with a self-hosted WordPress site, here are the steps for how to create a blog:
- Purchase your domain name. This is your address on the web. (For instance – beaceoofme.com) Choose a domain name that reflects your brand, your name or what solution you provide / focus of your business. Be sure to not choose a name that includes someone else’s trademarked or copyrighted name or content. I recommend Godaddy.com or 1an1.com for domains.
- Sign up for webhosting through a hosting company such as Bluehost or SiteGround. Both companies offer very affordable monthly hosting and the shared hosting / starter packages are a great value for new bloggers. They can also provide technical support and answer other questions on how to create a blog using their hosting if you get stuck.
- Once you have purchased your hosting, you will need to update your nameservers on your domain. You will get the nameserver info in your information from your webhost in your confirmation email. Then you can just go to wherever you bought your domain from and go into the domain settings and add the 2 custom nameservers.
- Once you have your nameservers set up and the domain is showing up on your hosting, you will need to install WordPress on your domain. You can do that from your Bluehost hosting control panel (cPanel) under Software, then select to install WordPress on the main domain. (Be sure to save the username & password you create as you will need this to login to your site!)
- After WordPress is installed, you will be able to login to your WordPress Admin Dashboard with the username & password you just created.
- Once you are you are in your dashboard, this is where you can customize all your settings for your new blog and install a free theme (design) (or a custom paid for theme) (See tutorials and tips for setting up and using WordPress here) and also install plugins that can add even more features to your site. (Learn all about plugins in my post here).
- Once you have your site set up, you can start creating your pages (a few ideas: About, Contact, Host a Party, Join my Team, Product Info & Shop Online) and set up your menu bar to include those pages. Then you can add widgets to your sidebar (a few ideas: your social media follow buttons, a picture of you with a short welcome message, your email newsletter sign up form, a featured product or two and contact information).
- Then once you have it all set up how you like it, you can begin writing your content and posting on a regular basis!
If you choose to use Weebly for your blogging and website platform:
1. Choose your account type. I recommend going with the Starter Plan because it includes a custom domain name and removes the Weebly advertising from the site and your domain. (So instead of NailsYouLove.Weebly.com for your website name, you could have NailsYouLove.com).
2. Sign up for the account & choose your custom domain name.
3. Once your account is confirmed, you can follow through their guides to use their drag & drop Website Builder to choose a theme, background and all the other custimzations.
4. Start adding in your pages that will appear in the menu bar. (A few ideas: About, Contact, Host a Party, Join my Team, Product Info & Shop Online) and set up your menu bar to include those pages. Then you can add widgets to your sidebar (a few ideas: your social media follow buttons, a picture of you with a short welcome message, your email newsletter sign up form, a featured product or two and contact information).
5. Then once you have your website all set up how you like it, you can begin writing your content and posting on a regular basis!
Creating a Content Plan for Your Blog
Once you get your blog all set up, it is a good idea to come up with a Content Plan & Calendar for your blog. This would be a list of topics you want to post about and when you will post about them. If you are part of my Direct Sales Success Club, each month you will get a list of topics and ideas to post about in your business business bundle to help make it easier on you.
A few ideas on what to blog about include product features & demonstrations, seasonal recipes, crafts & uses of your products and personal stories of how your products and business have helped you, your hosts and team members. Also think about the questions that you are always answering about your products. Write posts based around those common questions.
Also consider creating videos to go along with your posts. Video marketing is so huge right now and it helps people connect with you on a more personal level.
Be sure to include nice, big, clear images in all your posts. You can see my Canva & PicMonkey tutorial here on how to create awesome custom images for free.
Once you have content planned and have started posting, be sure to share it on your social media channels and in your monthly newsletters. Include your blog address on your business cards, emails, on your social media profiles and let everyone know about all the awesome tips and content you have available.
You can also use your blog to create landing pages for your lead magnets and email opt-in offers to help with getting more leads for your business. (Learn more about blogging, creating lead magnets and growing your business online in my success course.)
The key to success in blogging for your direct sales business is going to come from sharing valuable information on a consistent basis. You will need to promote your blog on social media and through your email newsletter to keep getting new traffic. Be real, authentic and focused on helping others and use your blog as another avenue to grow your business!
PS. Download my FREE Blogging Info Printable below before you go!