A couple of months ago, someone asked me to share the best advice I had for a new consultant just starting out in a new direct sales business. My advice below can apply to anyone joining a direct sales company, beginning their own business or anyone taking on any personal endeavor.
1. Connect with your WHY. Why are you here? Why did you join this company or start this business? What do you want to achieve because of your business? What is going to motivate you and keep you going when the going gets tough (because it will get tough)? When your WHY is strong enough so will your WILL be strong enough.
2. Create a clear VISION for your life. What are your dreams? If you had a magic wand and could change anything in your life, what would you change? What do you need most in your life right now? Where do you want to be in 1 year, 5 years, and 10 years? What do you want your life to be like then? What do you want your life to NOT be like then? What kind of legacy do you want to leave for others to follow? What makes you truly happy? How can your business help you achieve those personal goals & dreams? Have a clear vision so you know where you are going! It’s pretty hard to get somewhere if you don’t know where you are going or why you are going there! Creating a Dream Board can help you clarify your vision.
3. Set clear GOALS, then break them down into action plans to achieve them. Goals and dreams are great but if you don’t do the necessary work and have a plan then you will find yourself just going in circles. Just like you need a vision to know where you are going, you need goals and an action plan to keep you on the right path.
4. Work consistently and take your business with you everywhere you go. Remember you are the CEO of your own business. You must think, act, speak & work like a CEO if you want to make the income of a CEO. Schedule your work hours each week in advance and commit to doing the activities necessary to build your business. If you only work when you feel like it, when you have some free time (like that ever happens) – you will not see consistent results. If you run your business like a hobby, don’t expect to make the income of a CEO. You will always get back from your business exactly what you put into it. Take your business with you always – wear logo items, a button, get a car decal, always have catalogs, fliers & business cards with you that you can leave places, hand out or pin to bulletin boards. You are your own marketing department.
5. Get out of your comfort zone & out of your friends & family zone. If you never leave your comfort zone you will never get anywhere, much less to the other side of your dreams! If you don’t pick up that phone and make booking calls, don’t approach that person in line behind you at the grocery store, don’t work with people outside your friends & family then you will be like a ship with the anchor down. Your dreams do not COME to you – you have to get out there and go after your dreams!
Worried about rejection? How about worrying instead about the people you are letting down and allowing to miss out on all that you & your business has to offer by NOT sharing with them? You have the power to positively impact the lives of others – why are you keeping that all to yourself??? Remember some will, some won’t, so what, someone else is waiting! We aren’t here to convince or convert, just to help those who want to do business with us.
6. Communicate, participate and learn. Communicate with your team leaders regularly, participate in team & corporate events and trainings. Network with others in your company and similar businesses. If you want to be successful, hang out with successful people. The best of part of your business will be the relationships you build with other Learn everything from everyone you can and read anything you can get your hands on. Become an expert about the industry you are in, your company’s products & business & leadership skills. Focus on personal excellence. Knowledge is POWER & it is all out there waiting for you to soak it up – BE A SPONGE!
7. Put others first. “Your needs will be met when you focus your energies on meeting the needs of others” Stuart Wilde (my own paraphrasing). Call it the law of attraction, Biblical living, reaping what you sow, it’s the truth! When you get yourself and your needs out-of-the-way and focus on helping others – you will realize you are reaching your own dreams and goals while you have been busy helping others reach theirs.
8. Have fun and be positive. If you have a positive attitude about life and you take positive actions for your business, you will get positive results. If you have a negative attitude and you take negative (or zero) actions for your business, guess what, you will get negative results. Lighten up! Enjoy life, count your blessings, and bring joy to others! Don’t just dream it, LIVE IT! When others see you living it, they will be drawn to you & your business will continue to grow & bloom!